In addition to loving the great people that I’ve had the privilege of working with through the years, here are a few more things that I love about my work as an evaluator.
1) I love the challenges of finding ways to test and measure obscure and sometimes elusive things like “engagement” and “interest.”
2) I love the instances where evaluation findings are able to make a significant impact in subsequent program or product design and implementation efforts.
3) I love getting to work with a wide variety of clients – and especially enjoy opportunities to help them understand and appreciate the value of doing evaluation, even when its not required by a funding agency.
4) I love telling stories about projects and outcomes through the reports that I write and presentations that I give – especially when those reports or presentations can be shared more broadly with others in the educational and evaluative fields where I specialize.
5) I love it when my work is able to uncover important nuances that may have been previously overlooked or undiscovered.
If you are an evaluator and you are reading this post, I’d love to hear what you love about being an evaluator!